CAREER HIGH
I think working on The Streets’ first album. It was a huge commercial and critical success. He was great, the visuals worked, and the music was great. It was a good thing to be involved with. And a record that means something is very rare.

CAREER LOW
I shouldn’t say this … Chas and Dave. I was sure they would be amiable cockney chaps. One of them was really nice …

BEST ADVICE RECEIVED
Laurie Cokell was the boss of London Records. Everything there was a drama. It was just a constant level of stupid, unnecessary hysteria. He once said: ‘You know what? Sometimes don’t do anything. Just sit back and let things happen.’

FAVOURITE MUSIC
The Velvet Underground. I still listen to them, which, I suppose, is the main thing.

FAVOURITE WRITER
I like James Ellroy. His books are books about Los Angeles that happen to have crime in them. They’re the history of post-war Los Angeles. In my deluded state I thought: ‘I’ll try and do the same thing for Glasgow.’

IDEAL DINNER PARTY
I once went to dinner and Malcolm McLaren was there. This was not long after the Sex Pistols and I thought: ‘If he asks me what I do I’m going to have to kill myself.’ “I manage Lloyd Cole and the Commotions.” It’s not really the cutting edge of anarchy. And he asked and he was really gracious. So I’d like him. And Germaine Greer. She’d be interesting to listen to.

Bloody January, by Alan Parks, is published by Canongate,  £12.99.